4.14.2008

Church cracks me up!!!

I will admit that I find humor in just about everything..., everything :-) But I must say, even though some will scoff, that I find church terribly interesting and humorous. It's like a big sitcom if you really think about it. You get the same charters week after week, the plot line rarely changes, the set is always the same, and the drama is always there.



Every church I've known of, whether I've attended or spoken to somebody about, has the same stuff going on inside. Just because you're this religion... or that religion doesn't mean you're specifically unique (sorry to break the news to ya)!?!? Every church has that crazy guy who everyone's a little afraid of, the woman who sings just a wee bit too loud for those sitting around her, the man who only owns one suit and therefore wears it each week, the sweet older lady (or ladies) who are just doing everything they can to get to heaven, the old man who always comes but always falls asleep. (Sidenote: Why do people feel the need wake up early, dress up, come to church, then sleep through their meetings?) The guy who comes because his wife makes him, even though everyone knows he'd rather be home watching football or golf or tennis or soccer or curling or infomercials or...



I think the thing that cracks me up the most are the habbits people form as they attend church. I found this great blog called Cartoon Church where I stole this cartoon.
The humor behind it is so subtile and understated, and that's why I like it. Don't you find yourself parking in roughly the same spot every week? Don't you find you sit in roughly the same pew each week? Don't you find yourself talking to the same people week after week? Don't the hymns sound very much alike? Just stop once or twice and listen :-). It's funny how the "plot line" doesn't change, or only slightly changes week after week.


Now before you throw me out for being a witch, please understand I mean no harm. I too do the same things each week. I too say hello to the same people each week. I too don't say hello to the same people each week. Maybe it's the pattern(s) that makes church so appealing to people like you and I???

4 comments:

Kristy said...

AMEN!

Kim Bringhurst said...

I agree! But I have such a low tolerance for boredom, my favorite weeks were the ones where the "less active" family showed up with dad in his hoody, and mom in her bohemian inspired spaghetti strap dress... or the weeks when the heavily medicated, yet hopelessly mentally unstable "member" forgot to take his meds and then decided to bear his testimony. Classic!

Karen and Guy Standing said...

Nate, your blog is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. I'm so glad to read about your life from your angle. I love people watching at church. It's the greatest!

Rain and Kari said...

Nate, I have got to stop reading your blog at work, with tears of laughter running down my face.