4.26.2008

Ya learn something new everyday

This is going to be a two-part post because I'm too lazy to post twice in one whole day.
Part Uno: This morning Sammy woke up hell bent on getting an Egg McMuffin for breakfast. She refused any other offer of food including pancakes and her favorite, cereal. Well some time passed and we needed to get going to a primary activity, she said she wouldn't go unless she got her Egg McMuffin. I looked up at the clock and realized that it was after 10am and Micky Dees stopped serving Egg McMuffins, shouldn't have let Sam know that by the way! At the activity the kids would be making Mother's & Father's day gifts. On the way out the door Sam informed me she would not be making me a gift today :-).
When we got there she was in no mood to socialize with anybody (still too pissed about missing her Egg McMuffin). After talking to some others and socializing for a bit I went to leave "Where's Sam" I think to myself. I found her out in the foyer, curled up in a ball on a chair, balling her eyes out. You want to talk about a girl that can hold a grudge!!! She was mad Megan got there on time and already started working on Mom's & Dad's gifts. I did not leave her there for the poor primary workers to deal with, so she came home with me.
When we got home she announced that since she couldn't get McDonald's that morning she was going to Sonic. So she went out, opened the garage door, got on her bike, and took off down the street. Luckily Jen distracted her long enough for me to get on my bike and follow her. So down to Sonic we went, passing by a mighty smelly dead cat.
Once she ordered her vanilla Sonic blast with Nem in Nems (M & M's) and no whip cream she finally cheered up. This is when I swooped in and played super dad. We talked about school, we studied the one dollar bill, and talked about why restaurants stink so bad. All in all it ended up pretty good considering how the morning had started. She even shared her Nem in Nem blast with me.
Part Deux: Here's a few things I already knew, but, was reminded again of during the day.
All thrift stores smell the same
Restaurant garbage cans on hot days smell real bad
So do dead animals
You have to "break" your toes in before going in flip flops all day long
Never go grocery shopping while terribly hungry
Pasta salad cannot be made in ten minutes
Fresh made cotton candy is my favorite outdoor treat
Diet Coke with Lime is delicious (Lasted 7 days quittin' Coke) hehehe
If you're going to be outside in Phoenix you've got to provide yourself with your own shade
The only girls that flirt with me are either related to me or are mentally handicapped
When your youngest curls up in your armpit and says "I love you dad" nothing much else matters

5 comments:

Jenifer said...

I hope your toe cleavage feels better soon. I could totally take that lady at Goodwill. Let me know if you want me too!
You are a great dad! Couldn't do it without you!

Piper said...

Oh Nate. You are the best! I'm glad you always notice the positive! That will get you through!

Kim Bringhurst said...

I have a few comments. I've said it before, but I'll say it again... Sam is one of my favorite people! Second: maybe you could explain to me why no matter where you are in the country, the sidewalk in front of "Black Angus" smells like poo. And finally, Diet Coke with lime must be an aquired taste, and I've yet to aquire the taste for it! Good luck giving it up.

Crazymamaof6 said...

way to go super dad. and OUCH on the toe cleavage rubbed raw. that is never good. gotta build up the proper calluses. thanks for the deep thoughts on stinky garbage, thrift stores, and dead cats. all delicious thoughts, while i sip my Dr. Pepper. glad you are back on Coke. giving it up is just wrong for so many reasons and hey it's better than vodka. or beer. right? better in a mormony sorta way.

Kristy said...

You are such a good dad. One note about cotton candy - who ever decided to put it in a bag is not a real lover of the stuff. Everyone knows it has to be fresh made on a paper cone. I guess the bagged kind will do in a pinch.